Built with Indexhibit
This work by Caroline McQuarrie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Gold was discovered in the Waimea creek in Nov 1864, where twin towns Goldsborough and Stafford were soon established and grew to substantial size. There was enough gold in the Waimea valley to sustain these and smaller satellite towns for a number of years, however by the early 20th century numbers had dwindled considerably. The Goldsborough town site is now a DOC camping ground and designated fossicking area.